"Coolcashin", a parish, in the barony of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 1/2 miles (N. W.) from Freshford; containing 564 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2792 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Ossory, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Freshford, and the corps of the prebend of Aghoure in the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Lisdowney, the chapel is at Whitegate.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]