"Danesfort", or Dunfort, a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Thomastown; with the parish of Annamult, and part of that of Tradingetown or Ballyreddin, 1263 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Dunfert and Dunsert, comprises 5832 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is principally under tillage. Danesfort, the seat of Major Henry Wemys, is pleasantly situated; in the demesne are the ruins of an ancient church. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Burnchurch; the rectory is impropriate in the mayor, aldermen, and burgesses of the city of Kilkenny. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Ennisnag, Killahane and Grove, Grange Abbey, and Annamult, and parts of the parishes of Ballyreddin, Burnchurch, Kells, and Ballybar: there are five chapels, situated respectively at Danesfort, Lady's-well, Grange, Bennet's-bridge, and Kells-grange. There is a school at Bennet's-bridge under the National Board, in which are about 80 children; and there are two pay schools, in which about 100 are educated. Here was anciently a castle, built by William, Earl Mareschal; and there are several Danish forts in the parish.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]