"Derrynahich", or Derrynahensy, a parish, in the barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 1/2 miles (S. E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 1784 inhabitants, and comprising 8171 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Knocktopher. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district called Ballyhale, and comprises the parishes of Derrynahinch, Knocktopher, Aghaviller, Killeasy, and parts of Burnchurch, Jerpoint and Kells, in which are five chapels, that of Derrynahinch being in the village of Ballyhale. There are four private schools, in which are about 180 children, and a Sunday school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]