|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
a village, in the parish of
Derrynahinch, barony of Knocktopher, county of
Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 mile (S. by E.) from Knocktopher,
on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 69 houses and 369
inhabitants. Fairs are held on Jan. 5th, March 28th, May 10th, July 9th,
Sept. 21st, Nov. 11th, and Dec. 8th. The parochial R. C. chapel, a neat
building with an ancient tower, is situated at this place, which gives name
to the union of district, comprising the parishes of Derrynahinch, Knocktopher,
Aughavillar, and Kilkeasy, and parts of those of Burnchurch, Jerpoint,
and Kells, and containing four other chapels, besides a friary chapel.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Roman Catholic Parish: Ballyhale. (part of Aghaviller Catholic parish prior to September 1847)
Earliest Record: b. Aug 1823; m. 1876.
Townlands (1851)Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 17 Apr 2004Parish Townland Acres Diocese Derrynahinch Ballyhale 368 Ossory