"Donaghmore", or Donoughmore, also known as Ballyragget, a post-town and parish, in the barony of Fassadining, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 8 miles (N. W.) from Kilkenny, and 53 3/4 (S.W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 2609 inhabitants, of which number, 1629 are in the town. This place appears to have derived its origin from a castle belonging to the Butler family, which in 1600 was garrisoned by the forces of Sir George Carew, Lord-President of Munster, when the sons of Lord Mountgarret, to whom it then belonged, were in rebellion against the crown, and engaged with O'More to arrest the Earl of Ormonde. The town is situated on the road from Kilkenny to Durrow, and on the river Nore, over which is a good stone bridge of 10 arches; it consists of one principal street, with several smaller streets diverging from it, and contains about 300 houses. The parish comprises 5268 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; there is a quarry of hard black limestone. In the immediate vicinity of the town is Ballyragget Lodge, the mansion is a fine building; in the demesne are the remains of Ballyragget castle, in a good state of perservation. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde, and the vicarage is part of the union of Odogh. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, which comprises the parishes of Ballyragget, Ballyouskill, Rosconnel, and Attanagh, and parts of those of Durrow, Abbeyleix, Freshford, Burnchurch, and Kilmocar; and contains two chapels, one at Ballyragget and one at Attanagh. There are eight pay schools and a Sunday school in the parish.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]