"Dungarvan", a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S.) from Gowran, on the road from Dublin to Waterford; containing 1784 inhabitants, of which number, 75 are in the hamlet. This parish comprises 9134 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is a contabulary police station. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in J. Hamilton Bunbury, Esq. The glebe-house was erected in 1813: there is a glebe of 15 acres. The church is a small plain building, erected in 1812. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Gowran, and contains a chapel. The parish school is supported by the incumbent, and there are three pay schools, in which about 300 children are instructed. Here is a very large moat, also the ruins of a square castle at Neiglam.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]