"Dunkitt", a parish, in the barony of Ida, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Waterford, on the road to Thomastown; containing 2637 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Suir, with which it communicates by the Dunkitt pill, and comprises 6267 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally good, and is based on a substratum of limestone, of which great quantities are quarried chiefly for exportation to the county of Wexford by the river Suir, from which the pill is navigable to the quarries. The principal seats are Mullinabro', Greenville and Bishop's Hall. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, at a period unknown, to the vicarages of Kilcollum and Gaulskill, and in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in the family of Boyd. The glebe-house was built in 1817, and the glebe comprises 23 3/4 acres. The church of the union is at Gaulskill. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union Kilmacow; the chapel is at Bigwood. About 100 children are taught in a public school, and there are two private schools, in which are about the same number.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]