GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

DURROW

"Durrow", or Castle-Durrow, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the barony of Upper Ossory, Queen's (Leix) county, but chiefly in that of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 12 miles (S. by E.) from Maryborough, and 54 (S.W.) from Dublin, on the road from Athy to Cashel; containing 2911 inhabitants, of which number, 1289 are in the town. The parish comprises 6843 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; three-fourths of the land are arable and pasture, about 1000 acres woodland, and 300 bog. The Town, which is on the bank of the river Erkin, contains 236 houses forming a square, many of which are well-built and slated. It is included in the county of Kilkenny for civil purposes, but is completely surrounded by Queen's county, of which it formed a part until the Earl of Ormonde, by act of parliament, procured its annexation to Kilkenny. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St, Canice's, Kilkenny; the rectory is appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of more than 18 acres. The church is a large building, with a tower and spire. In the R. C. divisions part of the parish is in the union or district of Ballyragget, and the remainder with Aghamacart forms the district of Durrow, in which is a chapel. The Wesleyan Methodists have a meeting-house in the town. About 70 children are educated in the parochial school and infant's school. About 180 children are taught in four private schools, and there is also a Sunday school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Durrow. RC Parish: part Ballyragget.
Earliest Records: b. 1801; m. Apr 1856. Missing: b, 1806-1855.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Durrow (Leix)	Durrow pt	not available
Durrow		Ballyragget	1856-1880	0979702

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Durrow		Ballynaslee		668	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 12 Apr 1999

Return to top of page