"Earlstown", a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 3/4 miles (E.) from Callan, on the road from Desart to Thomastown; containing 679 inhabitants. The parish is situated in the King's river, here crossed by a stone bridge, and comprises 2916 statute acres. Principal residences are Kilcoran and Newtown House. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Callan, and contains a chapel. Here is a private school of about 100 children. At Castle-Eve are the remains of an old castle, with a moat and fortifications; in the Newtown demesne is a square tower castle, in a good state of preservation; and there are some small remains of the old church, with a burial-ground.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]