GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

EARLSTOWN

"Earlstown", a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 3/4 miles (E.) from Callan, on the road from Desart to Thomastown; containing 679 inhabitants. The parish is situated in the King's river, here crossed by a stone bridge, and comprises 2916 statute acres. Principal residences are Kilcoran and Newtown House. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Callan, and contains a chapel. Here is a private school of about 100 children. At Castle-Eve are the remains of an old castle, with a moat and fortifications; in the Newtown demesne is a square tower castle, in a good state of preservation; and there are some small remains of the old church, with a burial-ground.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Earlstown. RC Parish: Callan.
Earliest Records: b. Jan 1821; m. Jan 1821.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Earlstown	Callan		1821-1880	0926189

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Earlstown	Castle Eve      	548	Ossory    
Earlstown	Cronoge			16	Ossory    
Earlstown	Kilbrickan      	538	Ossory    
Earlstown	Newtown (Baker)		647	Ossory    
Earlstown	Newtown (Shea)		577	Ossory    
Earlstown	Ovenstown    		610	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 12 Apr 1999

Return to top of page