GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

ENNISNAG

"Ennisnag", a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 5 1/2 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the King's river, and on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 550 inhabitants. It comprises 1200 statute acres, of which 10 are woodland, 950 arable, 200 pasture, and about 40 waste. There are two flour-mills. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house was built in 1821; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church, a neat modern structure, was erected in 1815. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Danesfort.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Ennisnag. RC Parish: Danesfort, part Aghaviller (Ballyhale).
Danesfort - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1819; m. Jan 1824.
Aghaviller - Earliest Record: b. Oct 1847; m. Feb 1848.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Ennisnag	Danesfort pt	1819-1876	0926193
		Aghaviller pt	not available

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Ennisnag	Ballycoam		100	Ossory    
Ennisnag	Ennisnag        	1240	Ossory    
Ennisnag	Knocknabooly    	133	Ossory    
Ennisnag	Lawcus			261	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 12 Apr 1999

Return to top of page