"Erke", Eirke, or Eyrke, a parish, partly in the barony of Upper Ossory, Queen's county, but chiefly in that of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 8 1/4 miles (S. W.) from Durrow, on the road from Rathdowney to Johnstown; containing 5565 inhabitants, and comprising 15,750 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. About 2000 acres are bog. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown. The glebe comprises 15 acres 25 perch. The church is a plain building, erected in 1823. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also those of Fartagh and Glashane, and containing three chapels, two in Eirke and one in Fartagh. The parochial school is aided by the rector, and has a house and an acre of land rent-free: about 50 boys and 50 girls are taught in it. There are also nine private schools, in which are about 500 children. of Danesfort.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]