We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Pilltown", a market and post-town, in the parish of Fiddown, barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 9 miles (N.W. by W.) from Waterford, on the road to Clonmel; containing 634 inhabitants. It derives its name from a branch of the river Suir, called "The Pill", at the head of which it is situated, about 1 1/2 mile from the river, and consists chiefly of one wide street, about a quarter of a mile in length, and in 1831 containing 102 houses, which being mostly of modern erection, with neat gardens in front and interspersed with some fine old trees, have an extremely neat and pleasing appearance: at the east end of town is an excellent hotel. A patent for a market has been obtained, but it is not yet established; a handsome building erected at the expense of the Eral of Besborough and intended for the market-house, is appropriated to the use of the R. C. day-school, the Protestant Sunday-school, and all public meetings: it is also used for performing the evening church service. At the rear of the market-house, is a commodious quat, erected a few years since at the expense of Viscount Dungannon, at which not less than 126 vessels discharged their cargoes in one year, the Suir being influenced by the tide as far as the Pill, and navigable for vessels of 200 tons' burdern, and for smaller vessels up to the town.
Here is a chief contabulary police station; and petty sessions are held on alternate Thursdays at the market-house. In the town is a neat R. C. chapel, being one of the three belonging to the union or district of Templeorum; also the male and female Protestant parochial schools, chiefly supported by the Earl of Besborough and the rector; and a dispensary for the poor. A loan fund has been established with a capital of £100 raised by subscription; and, in consequence of a bequest of £1000 to the poor of the parish from the late Robert and Elizabeth Landers, almhouses are about to be erected. A neat museum has been fitted up at the hotel by Mr. Redmond Anthony, the proprietor, who has here a valuable collection of paintings, curiosities, and Irish antiques; a small charge is made for admission, and the proceeds, averaging upwards of £40 per ann., are applied by him towards the support of the fever hospital at Carrick-on-Suir. The scenery in the vicinity is varied and beautiful; and immediately adjoining the town is the splendid seat of the Earl of Besborough, which is described in the article on Fiddown.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]