"Glashare", a parish, in the barony of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/4 miles (S. by E.) from Rathdowney; containing 619 inhabitants, This parish comprises 2703 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Rathdowney. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Eirke. About 50 children are educated in a private school. Part of the townland of Rathlogan was split into a separate civil parish.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]