"Graiguenamanagh", Graig, or Graignamanagh, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 6 miles (S.) from Goresbridge (to which it has a sub-post-office), and 58 (S.S.W.) from Dublin, on the road from Carlow to New Ross; containing 4745 inhabitants, of which number, 2130 are in the town. William Marshal, the elder, Earl of Pembroke, founded a abbey here for Cisternian monks in 1212, the abbot of which was a lord of parliament until the Reformation, when it was granted to Sir E. Butler, and now is the property of Lord Clifden: there are considerable remains of the building. The town contains 417 houses, and is improving in appearance; it has a handsome bridge over the Barrow, on which river it has between 40 and 50 boats of about 40 tons' burden each. In or near the town are a brewery and malthouse, and a flour and three grist-mills. The parish comprises 11,879 statute acres: there is a considerable quantity of mountain land, including Brandon Hill, and Lord Clifden has planted 300 or 400 acres. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church is a plain edifice. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish, Ullard, and Powerstown, and has two chapels, of which that at Graig is a very commodious building. There are two national schools, in which about 500 children are educated. There are some remains of a castle by the river.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]