"Grangesilvia", or Grange Silvae, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; containing, with the post-town of Goresbridge, 2313 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Carlow to Ross, and on the confines of the county of Carlow, is bounded on the east by the river Barrow, and comprises 7661 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally of good quality and principally under tillage. Limestone is found in almost every part of the parish, and worked for agricultural purposes, except towards the southern extremity, where the strata alternate with granite. The principal seats are Barrowmount, Doninga and Barraghcore. The Barrow navigation, which commences at St. Mullins, about three miles below this parish, bounds it on the east and joins the Grand canal at Athy. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house was purchased for £184. 12., a gift from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises eight acres. The church at Goresbridge, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £168, is a neat edifice with a tower, and contains a handsome marble monumnet to Colonel Gore, who fell at Bergen-op-Zoom while leading his men to the attack of that place on the 8th of March, 1814; it was erected by the officers of the 33rd regiment of foot, as a tribute to his memory. The R. C. chapel, a neat edifice, is at Goresbridge. About 300 children are taught in the parochial and two national schools; there is also a private school, in which are about 50 boys.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]