GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

INISTIOGE

"Inistioge", an incorporated market and post-town (formerly a parliamentary borough), and a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 13 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, and 63 (S.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road to New Ross; containing 3221 inhabitants, of whom 1000 are in the town. This place, which is situated on the river Nore, was at an early period distinguished for its religious establishments. An abbey is said to have been founded here about the year 800; but that to which the town was more especially indebted for its origin and early importance was an Augustinian monastery, founded in 1210 by Thomas, son of Anthony, Seneschal of Leinster, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St. Columb. The parish comprises 9620 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about 800 are woodland, 800 waste and bog, and the remainder arable and pasture. The surrounding scenery is extremely varied and beautiful, and the banks of the Nore are richly diversified with features of a picturesque and romantic character. Woodstock, the seat of W. F. Tighe, esq., is a spacious and elegant mansion, finely situated in a demesne of nearly 1500 statute acres spreading along the margin of the Nore. The ruins of the castles of Brownsford and Clowen are in this parish. The other seats are Firgrove and Ballyduff. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory; one-half of the rectory is impropriate in Sir Wm. Cox, Bart., and the other is annexed to the vicarage of Cloneamery, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house is a handsome residence, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms is the head of a union or district, comprising also those of Cloneamery and Roer, in which are four chapels; the chapel of this parish has been taken down, and a handsome new one is being erected.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Inistioge. RC Parish: Inistioge and Clodiagh.
Earliest Records: b. Dec 1810; m. Jan 1827.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Inistioge	Inistioge pt	not available
		Thomastown pt	1782-1833	0926202
				1834-1880	0926203

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Inistioge	Ballycocksoost		801	Ossory    
Inistioge	Ballyduff		234	Ossory    
Inistioge	Ballygallon       	338	Ossory    
Inistioge	Ballygegan     		158	Ossory    
Inistioge	Ballyshane		319	Ossory    
Inistioge	Ballyvool		467	Ossory    
Inistioge	Blessington      	104	Ossory    
Inistioge	Bohilla        		223	Ossory    
Inistioge	Cappagh        		730	Ossory    
Inistioge	Coolrainy        	347	Ossory    
Inistioge	Coolroe         	428	Ossory    
Inistioge	Coolsillagh     	55	Ossory    
Inistioge	Fiddaun Lower		127	Ossory    
Inistioge	Fiddaun Upper		257	Ossory    
Inistioge	Firgrove          	157	Ossory    
Inistioge	Inistioge          	1739	Ossory    
Inistioge	Kilcross       		894	Ossory    
Inistioge	Kilkieran     		313	Ossory    
Inistioge	Killeen			244	Ossory    
Inistioge	Kilmacshane		705	Ossory    
Inistioge	Powerswood         	665	Ossory    
Inistioge	Rathleen		272	Ossory    
Inistioge	Rossroe			147	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 17 Apr 1999

Return to top of page