GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

JERPOINT CHURCH

"Jerpoint (Church)", a parish, in the barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 mile (S. W.) from Thomastown, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Waterford; containing 1983 inhabitants. There is some mountain land, but no bog, and the parish is principally under tillage. Here are several quarries of limestone, and lead ore exists, but no mines are worked ar present. Mount Juliet is the splendid seat of the Earl of Carrick: the mansion is very spacious and finely situated, and the demesne, which comprises about 900 plantation acres, of which about a third is woodland, lies along both sides of the noble river Nore, which is crossed by a handsome bridge. The other seats are Norelands, John's Well, Jerpoint House, Flood Hall and Belmore Lodge. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The is no glebe-house; the glebe comproses 5a. 3r. 15p. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Thomastown, and has a chapel. There are four private schools, in which about 290 children are educated. The ruins of the church are almost covered with ivy, and near it are some ancient monuments. The existence of the foundations of houses renders it probable that there was formerly a town here; and in the vicinity was a celebrated abbey, which is noticed in the article on Abbey Jerpoint.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Also see the village of Stoneyford.

Church Records

Civil Parish: Jerpointchurch. RC Parish: Thomastown.
Earliest Records: b. Jun 1782; m. Jan 1786.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)

Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Jerpointchurch	Aghaviller pt	not availabl
		Ballyhale	not available
Note: The R. C. parish of Thomastown partially divided into Ballyhale.

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Jerpointchurch	Ballyconway		485	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Ballylowra		342	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Ballynamona		389	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Cappagh        		516	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Carrigeen    		107	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Coolroebeg         	320	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Cotterellsbooly		781	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Floodhall or Rathtooterny 394	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Glenmore		160	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Jerpointchurch   	635	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Jerpointhill      	518	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Kilvinoge    		508	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Mountjuliet or Walton's Grove	536	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Oldtown       		296	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Rathtooterny or Floodhall 394	Ossory    
Jerpointchurch	Walton's Grove or Mountjuliet	536	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 17 Apr 1999

Return to top of page