"Kilbeacon", a parish, in the barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 8 miles (S. by E.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Waterford; containing 1049 inhabitants, and 3151 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united to the vicarages of Rosinan and Killahy, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny. There is a glebe of 16 acres. The church is a modern building. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmacow. About 160 children are educated in three private schools. At Earlsrath was a large fort, emcompassed by a fosse and a bank about 20 feet high: the enclosed area measured about 70 yards by 55, amd contained some buildings.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]