"Kilcooly", a parish, in the barony of Slievardagh, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 5 miles (S.) from Johnstown; containing, with the town of New Birmingham, 3667 inhabitants. The parish comprises 9052 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Crown. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gurtnahoe, or Fennor, and has a chapel at New Birmingham. There is also a meeting house for Wesleyan Methodists. About 280 children are educated in two public schools. There are some ruins of the castle of Grange.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]