"Ferry Bank", a village, in the parish of Kilculliheen, within the liberties of the county of the city of Waterford, and in the province of Munster, on the river Suir: the population is returned with the parish. The river here is crossed by a long and handsome wooden bridge, connecting the village with the city of Waterford, of which it may be considered a suburb. It contains a large distillery, an establishment for building and repairing vessels, and several store-houses and respectable dwelling-houses. Here are also three schools, one of which is under the patronage of Mrs. Nevins.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]