"Kilfane", a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Thomastown, on the road from Dublin to Waterford; containing 898 inhabitants, This parish is supposed to have derived its name from the foundation of a church here at a very early period by St. Phiam: it comprises 3830 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The principal seats are Kilfane House, Summer Hill, Castlefield, and the glebe-house of the Rev. Archdeacon Irwin. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1676, to the vicarages of Tullowherin and Blanchevillestown, together forming the union of Kilfane and the corps of the archdeaconry of Ossory, in the patronage of the Bishop. The church is a neat modern edifice with a spire. The glebe-house was erected in 1807; the glebe comprises 46a. 3. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Thomastown. The parochial school, in which are about 90 children, is aided by subscriptions. Here are some remains of the ancient church, and of Kilbline and Ballynaboola castles.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]