"Kilferagh", or Kilfeara, a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; 2 1/2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Kilkenny, on the river Nore; containing 58 inhabitants. Here is a constabulary police stastion. Kilfeara is the seat of H. Ryan, Esq., and Sheestown, of J. Shee, Esq.; and in the demesne of the latter is a villa, the property and occasional residence of J. Power O'Shee, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Burnchurch; the rectory is impropriate in Lady Tynte Caldwell. In the demesne of Sheestown are the ruins of an ancient church, which is the burial ground of the Shee family.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]