|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
KILLAHY - [Cranagh]
"Killahy", or Killaghy,
a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of
Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S. W.) from Freshford: the
population is included in the return for Tullaroan. This parish comprises
1564 statute acres: it is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, entirely
impropriate in J. Butler Stopford, Esq. An abbey is supposed to have been
founded here in 548. Near the old church are some remains of the house or
castle of Killaghy, belonging to a branch of the Grace family. [In the R.
C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Urlingford.]
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Note: There is another Killahy parish in the barony of Knocktopher, next to the civil parish of Kilbeacon, and in the R.C. parish of Mullinavat (formerly part of Kilmacow R.C. parish).
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC parish parish period number Killahy Urlingford not available
Townlands (1851)Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 17 Apr 1999Parish Townland Acres Diocese Killahy Blackbotttom 117 Ossory Killahy Coldharbour 222 Ossory Killahy Greenhill 258 Ossory Killahy Hillend 139 Ossory Killahy Killahy 464 Ossory Killahy Lughinny 382 Ossory