"Killaloe", or Grangooly, a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (N.) from Callan, on the road from Kilkenny to Ballingarry; containing 1274 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5142 statute acres, and contains Rossmore, the seat of Purefoy Poe, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, foring part of the union of Callan. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballycallan. About 160 children are educated in a public school; and about 140 in a private school; there is also a Sunday school. Here is a constabulary police station; and a fever hospital is supported by the Earl of Desart, for the benefit of his tenants.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]