"Bennetts-Bridge", a village, partly in the parish of Killarney, barony of Gowran, and partly in that of Danesfort, barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Gowran; containing 426 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Nore, which is here crossed by a good stone bridge on the road from Kilkenny to Thomastown, and contains 85 houses. There are some flour-mills in the immediate vicinity. Fairs are held on Feb. 24th, Aug. 26th, Sept. 19th, and Dec. 21st; and it is a station of the constabulary police. There is a R. C. chapel of ease to Danesfort, with a national school adjoining it.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]