|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
a village, partly in the parish of
Killarney, barony of Gowran, and partly in that of
Danesfort, barony of Shillelogher,
county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 5 miles (W.S.W.) from Gowran;
containing 426 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Nore, which
is here crossed by a good stone bridge on the road from Kilkenny to
Thomastown, and contains 85 houses. There are some flour-mills in the
immediate vicinity. Fairs are held on Feb. 24th, Aug. 26th, Sept. 19th, and
Dec. 21st; and it is a station of the constabulary police. There is a R. C.
chapel of ease to Danesfort, with a national school adjoining it.
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 27 Apr 1999
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Return to top of page