We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Kilmacow

"Kilmacow", a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Waterford, on the road to Thomastown; containing 1923 inhabitants, of which number, 176 are in the village. It comprises 4389 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and has some good limestone quarries. The village contains 31 houses, and is a constabulary police station; petty sessions are held in it every alternate week. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the gift of the Bishop. The glebe-house has a glebe of 11a. 22p. The church is a neat edifice with a handsome sprire, rebuilt in 1818. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilmacow, Dunkit, Gaulskill, Ullid, Kilbeacon, and part of Killaghy, and containing chapels at Kilmacow, Mullinavat, and Hill. The parochial school was built on land given by Mr. Roche; about 80 children are educated in it, and about 190 in three private schools. There are some fine ruins of Grandison, or Graney, castle, consisting of the remains of the keep, the great hall, and of three circular towers, on the margin of the river Suir. It is supposed to have been erected by Col. Butler for Charles I., but was finally surrendered to Col. Axtel, Cromwell's governor of Kilkenny, and was afterwards allowed to fall into decay.

[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Kilmacow. RC Parish: Kilmacow.
Earliest Records: b. Jul 1858; m. Aug 1858.; d. Jun 1858.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)


 Civil           Roman Catholic  Time            FHLC 
parish           parish           period           number 
Kilmacow        Kilmacow pt     1858-1880       0926198 
                Mullinavat      1843-1880       0926201 

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Kilmacow which are provided by:

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)

 Parish         Townland                Acres   Diocese 
Kilmacow        Ballydaw                506     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Ballygriffin            167     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Ballynearla             467     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Clonassy                720     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Dangan                  592     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Flemingstown            156     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Granny                  1137    Ossory     
Kilmacow        Kilmacow                246     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Narrabaun North         126     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Narrabaun South         247     Ossory     
Kilmacow        Newtown                 76      Ossory     
Kilmacow        Poulanassy              <1      Ossory     

Maps

You can see maps centred on Lat/Lon: 52.302653,-7.174587 (OSI grid reference S563171), Kilmacow which are provided by: