"Kilmadum", or Kilmodum, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/2 miles (S.) from Castlcomer, on the river Dinin, and the road to Kilkenny; containing 900 inhabitants. It is vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Dunmore; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of St. John's. There are two private schools, in which are about 80 children.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]