"Kilmaganny", a parish in the barony of Kells, county of Kilkenny, Ireland, and province of Leinster, 5 miles (S.W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny [City] to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 2107 inhabitants, of which number, 514 are in the village. During the parliamentary war a party of Cromwell's troops had a skirmish here with the Walsh party, of Castlehall, which they defeated, and seized the estate. William III passed a night at Rossenarre, on his way to Limerick. The parish comprises 7381 statute acres, including about 500 acres of woodland and a large tract of mountain; it contains slate, limestone, freestone, and flagstone; also a mill. The village contains about 100 houses, which are generally handsome and well built; it is a constabulary police station, and has petty sessions and a dispensary: near it is a large nursery of forest trees. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Knocktopher. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Donamagan, and has a chapel. There are remains of castellated residences of the Walsh family at Castlehill, Clone, and Kerehill; also some chalybeate springs.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]