"Kilmanagh", or Kilnamanagh, a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (N.) from Callan, on the road from Kilkenny to Ballingarry; containing 1663 inhabitants. The name of this place was originally Kilnamanagh, or the chapel of the monks;" and it is stated that St. Natalis, founder and abbot of the establishment, died in 563. It comprises 5337 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, which are almost equally divided between arable land and pasture land, both of which are well cultivated. There is abundance of limestone, and culm is raised at Killeen; here is a grist-mill. The principal seats are Shipton, Pottlerath, and the glebe-house of Rev. Hans Caulfield. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the gift of the Bishop, forming the corps of prebend of Kilmanagh in the cathedral of Killkenny. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 201a. 3r. 18p. The church is a small plain building, erected about 90 years since. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballycallan, and contains a chapel, a plain building, with a school-house adjoining. There is a parochial school in which about 60 children are educated; also two private schools, in which 140 are educated. There are considerable remains of the old church, and of a castle at Pottlerath.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]