"Knocktopher", a town and parish in the barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, Ireland, and province of Leinster, 10 miles (S.) from Kilkenny. on the road to Waterford; containing 1518 inhabitants, of which number, 475 are in the town. This place was the principal residence of the Butlers, Earls of Ormonde, of whom James, the second Earl, in 1356, founded a monastery for Carmelite friars, of which the first prior, Henry Brown, received two parts of the temporalities of the see of Ossory, then in the King's hands; and the last prior, William, was made bishop of that diocese by Edward VI. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1676, to the rectories and vicarages of Kilneddy, Aughaviller, Kiltorkin, Der[ry]nahensy, Kilkeril, Kilkeasy and Donemagan, together forming the union of Knocktopher, in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 16 acres, and there are other glebe lands in the union, comprising 25 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district called Ballyhale, comprising also the parishes of Derrynahinch, Aughaviller, and Kilkeasy, and part of the parishes of Burnchurch, Jerpoint, and Kells; and containing five chapels, of which the chapel of Knocktopher is a neat edifice. About 150 children are taught in two public schools; and there are three private schools, in which are 250 children.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]