"Mallardstown", a parish, in the barony of Kells, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 miles (E.) from Callan, on the road Thomastown; containing 547 inhabitants. It is partly bounded on the north by the King's river, and comprises 2490 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Callan.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]