"Mothell", a parish, in the barony of Fassadining, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Castlcomer, on the road to Kilkenny, and on the river Dinin; containing 2427 inhabitants. The parish comprises 6622 statute acres, of which 6572 are applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, episcopaly united, from time immemorial, to the rectories of Kilmodumoge and Kilderry, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house was built in 1807; the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church was built in 1792, and repaired in 1814. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Muckalee, and has a chapel at Lisnafunchin. About 100 children are taught in the parochial school at Coolcullen. There are five private schools, in which are about 240 children; and a Sunday school. The celebrated cave of Dunmore is in this parish: the entrance to it is on the slope of a gentle hill to the south of the church. It consists of several subterranean apartments, the first being of large dimensions and irregular shape, and fifty feet high: a narrow passage thence diverges into another large room, from which winding passages lead into others. In the vicinity are the ruins of a castle and a church; also of a very large rath, encompassed by three ramparts.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]