"Outrath", a parish, in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 1/2 miles (S.) from Kilkenny; containing 1529, and comprising 2008 statute acres. It is a prebend, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Inchiolaghan and the corps of the chancellorship of Ossory. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of St. Patrick's, and contains the chapel of Grange. About 50 children are educated in a private school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]