"Owning", or Beaulieu, also called Bewley, a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/2 miles (N.) from Carrick-on-Suir, and near the confines of the county of Tipperary; containing 1281 inhabitants, and comprising 3652 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The village comprises about 12 houses. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory, the rectory being one of the four denominations consituting the union of Fiddown. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Templeorum, and contains a chapel. About 140 children are educated in two national schools; there is also a Sunday school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]