"Pollrone", or Poleroan, a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 6 miles (N. W.) from Waterford, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir, and on the north-eastern bank of the river Suir; containing 1245 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1680, to the vicarages of Potnescully and Illud, together consituting the union of Poleroan, in the gift of the Corporation of Waterford, in who the rectory is impropriate. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of 4 1/4 acrtes. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Moncoin. About 60 children are educated in a private school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]