"Powerstown", a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Gowran, on the road to Graig; containing 1718 inhabitants. This parish comprises 5508 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the greater portion is good arable and pasture land, about one-half being under tillage. On the lands of Currghlane, yellow ochre of good quality is procured; and at Mount Loftus is an extensive quarry, in which is raised excellent granite of a beautiful light yellow colour, fine-grained and very compact; it may be raised in blocks of very large size, and is mostly used for gate pillars and for buildings. A constabulary police force is stationed in the parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop. The glebe-house is a good residence; the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is a small neat edifice. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union of Graig; the chapel, a neat edifice, was erected about 10 years since, and a school-house has been recently built near it, for the completion of which the Board of National Education granted £100; about 170 children are taught in the school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]