GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

RATHKIERAN

"Rathkieran", or Rathkyran, a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, near the road from Waterford to Carrick-on-Suir, 4 1/2 miles (N.W.) from Waterford; containing 1408 inhabitants, of which number, 120 are in the village. The parish comprises 4197 statute acres, and the village contains 22 houses. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of the cathedral of Kilkenny; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and those of Aglishmartin, Portnescully, Poleroan, Clonmore, Ballytarsna, Tubrid, and part of Burnchurch, in which union are three chapels. At Moncoin is a school under the superintendence of the nuns, in which are about 250 girls; and in a private school are about 200 boys; there is also a Sunday school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Rathkieran. RC Parish: Mooncoin (Carigeen).
Earliest Records: b. Dec 1797; m. Jan 1772.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Rathkieran	Mooncoin 	not available
		Mullinavat pt	1843-1880	0926201

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Rathkieran	Ballincurra		59	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Ballinlough		53	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Ballynamountain		89	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Ballytarsney		55	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Clonassy     		341	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Dungooly		352	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Farranmacedmond   	140	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Filbuckstown    	159	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Listrolin     		699	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Rathcurby North		124	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Rathcurby South		277	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Rathkieran		319	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Rochestown		486	Ossory    
Rathkieran	Waddingstown  		319	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 18 Apr 1999

Return to top of page