"Shankill", or St. Kill, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S.W.) from Bagnalstown, on the mail road to Kilkenny; containing 2313 inhabitants. At Kellymount and Shankill are some of the principal flag-stone quarries in the county, the produce of which is chiefly sent by the Barrow navigation to Dublin, Waterford, and other places, and generally sold under the name Carlow flags: limestone is also quarried, and a considerable quantity of stone, coal and culm are obtained at Bornafea: light turf is procured in the hills. The seats are Shankill Castle and Kellymount. There is a station of the constabulary police within the limits of the parish. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the gift of the Crown. The church was erected in 1811. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Grange Silvae, and has a chapel in the village of Paulstown, which is partly in that of Kilmocahill. In the national school at Bornafea, and in a school for females aided by subscription, about 240 children are educated; there is also a private school, in which are about 70 boys.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]