"Sheffin", a parish, in the barony of Galmoy, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; containing 798 inhabitants, and comprising 2452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Ossory; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of the cathedral of Kilkenny, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Freshford, and corps of the prebend of Aghoure. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Lisdowney. About 100 children are educated in two private schools.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]