|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of
Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 1/2 mile (N.W.) from Freshford,
on the road to Durrow; containing 157 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, in the
diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Freshford; the rectory is
appropriate to the economy estate of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny.
The tithes are included in those of Balleen. In
the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lisdowney, and
has a small chapel. Here is a singular cell, supposed to have been a
hermitage, built over a spring called Tubbrid na Draoith, or "the
druids well:" it measures seven feet by two feet six inches, and is raised
a little above the ground and entered by a pointed arch.
see also Sheffin.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Townlands (1851)Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 29 Apr 1999Parish Townland Acres Diocese Sheffin Clontubbrid 386 Ossory