"St. Canice", a parish, in the county of the city of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; comprising 6159 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Ossory; the living is a rectory and a vicarage, united by act of council from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Ballybur and St. Martin, together forming the union of St. Canice, belonging to the vicars choral. Felix O'Dullany, bishop of Ossory about the year 1178, removed the see of Ossory from Aghavoe to the city of Kilkenny, where he laid the foundation of the Cathedral church of St. Canice, which was continued at great expense by Hugh Mapleton, and completed by Geoffrey St. Leger, about the year 1270. Richard Ledredm who was consecrated [bishop of Ossory] in 1318, beautified the cathedral and rebuilt and glazed all the windows, of which the great east window contained some exquisite specimens of scripture history in stained glass; he also built the episcopal palace, near the cathedral. Bishop Hacketm who succeeded in 1460, built the arch of the tower of the cathedral of hewn stone, and appropriated the parish church of Ballybur to the vicars choral. The see of Ossory, centered at St. Canice, continued to be a separate diocese until 1835. In the R. C. divisions the parish of St. Canice is the head of a union, comprising also the parish of St. Maul, and part of Ballybur. The parish of St. Patrick is the head of a union which comprises a part of St. Canice. The chapel of St. Canice is a handsome modern edifice, in the later English style.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]