GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

ST. CANICE

"St. Canice", a parish, in the county of the city of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; comprising 6159 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Ossory; the living is a rectory and a vicarage, united by act of council from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Ballybur and St. Martin, together forming the union of St. Canice, belonging to the vicars choral. Felix O'Dullany, bishop of Ossory about the year 1178, removed the see of Ossory from Aghavoe to the city of Kilkenny, where he laid the foundation of the Cathedral church of St. Canice, which was continued at great expense by Hugh Mapleton, and completed by Geoffrey St. Leger, about the year 1270. Richard Ledredm who was consecrated [bishop of Ossory] in 1318, beautified the cathedral and rebuilt and glazed all the windows, of which the great east window contained some exquisite specimens of scripture history in stained glass; he also built the episcopal palace, near the cathedral. Bishop Hacketm who succeeded in 1460, built the arch of the tower of the cathedral of hewn stone, and appropriated the parish church of Ballybur to the vicars choral. The see of Ossory, centered at St. Canice, continued to be a separate diocese until 1835. In the R. C. divisions the parish of St. Canice is the head of a union, comprising also the parish of St. Maul, and part of Ballybur. The parish of St. Patrick is the head of a union which comprises a part of St. Canice. The chapel of St. Canice is a handsome modern edifice, in the later English style.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: St. Canice's. RC Parish: St. Canice's.
Earliest Records: b. Apr 1768; m. Jun 1768.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
St Canice’s	St Canice	1768-1810	0926195

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
St. Canice	Archerstreet Lot	88	Ossory    
St. Canice	Ardboy			43	Ossory    
St. Canice	Ayresfield		43	Ossory    
St. Canice	Ballynalina		290	Ossory    
St. Canice	Bishops Demesne    	54	Ossory    
St. Canice	Bishopsfurze     	71	Ossory    
St. Canice	Bishopsmeadows   	32	Ossory    
St. Canice	Bonnetstown    		574	Ossory    
St. Canice	Boolyshea     		168	Ossory    
St. Canice	Burntfurze     		32	Ossory    
St. Canice	Cappagh         	140	Ossory    
St. Canice	Cashel       		39	Ossory    
St. Canice	Cloranshea    		353	Ossory    
St. Canice	Coolgrange    		159	Ossory    
St. Canice	Crokershill		25	Ossory    
St. Canice	Deerpark		530	Ossory    
St. Canice	Dukesmeadows		8	Ossory    
St. Canice	Dunningstown		467	Ossory    
St. Canice	Gardens			81	Ossory    
St. Canice	Jamesgreen   		33	Ossory    
St. Canice	Jamespark      		40	Ossory    
St. Canice	Keatingstown    	733	Ossory    
St. Canice	Kilcreen         	42	Ossory    
St. Canice	Kingsland East		161	Ossory    
St. Canice	Kingsland West		75	Ossory    
St. Canice	Lacken			267	Ossory    
St. Canice	Loughmacask		56	Ossory    
St. Canice	Lousybush		107	Ossory    
St. Canice	Lyons			40	Ossory    
St. Canice	Maidenhill		45	Ossory    
St. Canice	Marnellsmeadows		19	Ossory    
St. Canice	Newtown     		902	Ossory    
St. Canice	Oldpark       		17	Ossory    
St. Canice	Palmerstown     	162	Ossory    
St. Canice	Raheennagun  		46	Ossory    
St. Canice	Robertshill		67	Ossory    
St. Canice	Sugarloaf Hill    	6	Ossory    
St. Canice	Talbotsinch    		303	Ossory    
St. Canice	Troyswood  		507	Ossory    
St. Canice	Walkinslough   		71	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 18 Apr 1999

Return to top of page