GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

ST. JOHN'S

"St. John's", a parish, in the county of the city of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; comprising 5318 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Fairs, for which patents have been obtained, are held here on Feb. 15th, May 6th, Sep. 23rd, and Nov. 10th. It is in the diocese of Ossory; the living is a vicarage, united by act of council, in the reign of Henry VIII., to the vicarage of Clara, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The church is part of the ancient monastery of St. John the Evangelist, restored agreeably to the character of the ancient building, which was of elegant design and elaborate execution; it contains the mutilated relics of ancient sepulchral monuments to the Butler, Grace, and Purcel families. The priory, or hospital of St. John the Evangelist, founded by William Le Mareschal in 1220, notwithstanding its long alienation from ecclesiastical uses, was, in 1641, taken possesion of by a fraternity of Jesuits, who commenced its restoration; a great part of it was afterwards demolished, and the east window of its church, enriched with delicate tracery, and part of the south side of the chior formed a picturesque ruin till the year 1817m when it was restored, and became the parish church of St. John. The annals of this house, called Codex Kilkenniensis, were in high reputation, and formed part of the Chandos collection. There is no glebe-house; the glebe is situated in the parish of Clara, and comprises 15 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish of St. John is the head of a union, comprising also Rathcoole, Kilderry, and Kilmadrum. St. Mary's R.C. parish also contains a small portion of St. John's parish.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: St. John. RC Parish: St. John's.
Earliest Records: b. Jan 1789; m. Jun 1789.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
St Johnís	St Johnís 	1817-1880	0979701

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
St. John's	Archersrath		107	Ossory    
St. John's	Baun			157	Ossory    
St. John's	Blanchfieldsland   	116	Ossory    
St. John's	Bleachgreen       	12	Ossory    
St. John's	Bonnetsrath  		269	Ossory    
St. John's	Brownstown     		537	Ossory    
St. John's	Cellarstown East	167	Ossory    
St. John's	Cellarstown Lower	100	Ossory    
St. John's	Cellarstown Upper	87	Ossory    
St. John's	Cellarstown West	299	Ossory    
St. John's	Charterschoolland	34	Ossory    
St. John's	Collegepark		9	Ossory    
St. John's	Dukesmeadows		69	Ossory    
St. John's	Dunmore			105	Ossory    
St. John's	Dunmorepark		111	Ossory    
St. John's	Friarsinch        	43	Ossory    
St. John's	Gardens			55	Ossory    
St. John's	Garrincreen		116	Ossory    
St. John's	Glendine		123	Ossory    
St. John's	Greenridge   		163	Ossory    
St. John's	Highhays       		10	Ossory    
St. John's	Kingsland    		104	Ossory    
St. John's	Kyleroe			170	Ossory    
St. John's	Lacken			24	Ossory    
St. John's	Leggetsrath East	215	Ossory    
St. John's	Leggetsrath West	245	Ossory    
St. John's	Loughmerans		369	Ossory    
St. John's	Lyrath			74	Ossory    
St. John's	Maudlinsland		53	Ossory    
St. John's	Middleknock		55	Ossory    
St. John's	Neworchard   		208	Ossory    
St. John's	Newtown      		134	Ossory    
St. John's	Pennefatherslot     	87	Ossory    
St. John's	Purcellsinch     	177	Ossory    
St. John's	Quarryland      	19	Ossory    
St. John's	Radestown North		584	Ossory    
St. John's	Radestown South		168	Ossory    
St. John's	Roachpond		31	Ossory    
St. John's	Seixeslough		49	Ossory    
St. John's	Sionhermitage		30	Ossory    
St. John's	Templemartin  		28	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 18 Apr 1999

Return to top of page