"Stonecarthy", Stamcarthy, or Stumcarthy, a parish, partly in the barony of Knocktopher, and partly in the barony of Kells, but chiefly in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 1/4 miles (N.W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Stoneyford to Pilltown and Carrick-on-Suir; containing 1066 inhabitants, and comprising 1452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballyhale [earlier part of Aghaviller, and next to Dunnamaggin]; the chapel, a neat modern building, is in the village of Stoneyford. About 120 children are educated in three schools, one of which, for infants, is supported by Mrs. Flood.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]