GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

STONECARTHY

"Stonecarthy", Stamcarthy, or Stumcarthy, a parish, partly in the barony of Knocktopher, and partly in the barony of Kells, but chiefly in the barony of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 1/4 miles (N.W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Stoneyford to Pilltown and Carrick-on-Suir; containing 1066 inhabitants, and comprising 1452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballyhale [earlier part of Aghaviller, and next to Dunnamaggin]; the chapel, a neat modern building, is in the village of Stoneyford. About 120 children are educated in three schools, one of which, for infants, is supported by Mrs. Flood.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Stonecarthy. RC Parish: Aghaviller.
Earliest Record: b. Oct 1847; m. Feb 1848.
Civil Parish: Stonecarthy. RC Parish: Ballyhale.
Earliest Record: b. Aug 1823.
Civil Parish: Stonecarthy. RC Parish: Dunnamaggan.
Earliest Records: b. Sep 1826; m. Oct 1826.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Stonecarthy	Aghaviller	not available
Stonecarthy	Ballyhale	not available

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Stonecarthy	Baunavollaboy		20	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Baunreagh		158	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Cherrymount    		54	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Cotterellsbooly		210	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Knockadrina   		267	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Rathduff		55	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Stonecarthy East	317	Ossory    
Stonecarthy	Stonecarthy West	405	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 18 Apr 1999

Return to top of page