|Kilkenny||Contents||Parishes and Towns|
"Tibberaghny", Tipperaghney, or Tyburoughny,
a parish, in the barony of Iverk, county of
Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 3/4 miles (E.S.E.) from
Carrick-on-Suir, on the road to Waterford; containing 293 inhabitants.
This place is supposed to have been os some importance in ancient times,
and to have been at one period thickly inhabited. According to Archdall,
St. Dominick, or Modomnoc, flourished here about the middle of the sixth
century, and the ruins of the church bear evidence of its remote antiquity.
Here are the remains of the foundations of an ancient town, supposed to be
of Danish origin, a tombstone still existing being sculptured with Danish
characters: also a mound of a conical form encircled by a spcaious fosse,
and presenting a considerable area on its summit. The castle is a stately
edifice, supposed by some to have been erected by John, Earl of Morton,
while at Waterford, but by others attributed to the Walshes, once proprietors
of the entire parish. The parish is situated on the northern bank of the
river Suir, and comprises about 1134 statute acres; a large stone on its
western border marks the boundary between the county of Kilkenny, in the
province of Leinster, and that of Tipperary, in Munster. It is a rectory
and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of
Fiddown. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Tibberraghny. RC Parish: Templeorum (formerly Fiddown).
Earliest Records: b. Oct 1803; m. Aug 1815; d. Sep 1803.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC
parish parish period number
Tibberaghny Templeorum not available
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 26 Apr 1999
Parish Townland Acres Diocese
Tibberaghny Tibberaghny 1147 Ossory
Return to top of page