"Tiscoffin", or Tascoffin, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 3/4 miles (S.W.) from Gowran; containing 1283 inhabitants. In 1362, James, the second Earl of Ormonde, here defeated and slew 600 of the clan or sept of the Mac Murroughs. The parish comprises 7128 statute acres; culm has been found within its limits, and was formerly worked. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, constituting the corps of the prebend of Tascoffin in the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church was built in 1796. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gowran, and contains a chapel. About 130 children are educated in three private schools.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]