GENUKI Home page
Kilkenny Contents Parishes and Towns

 

TISCOFFIN

"Tiscoffin", or Tascoffin, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 2 3/4 miles (S.W.) from Gowran; containing 1283 inhabitants. In 1362, James, the second Earl of Ormonde, here defeated and slew 600 of the clan or sept of the Mac Murroughs. The parish comprises 7128 statute acres; culm has been found within its limits, and was formerly worked. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, constituting the corps of the prebend of Tascoffin in the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church was built in 1796. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Gowran, and contains a chapel. About 130 children are educated in three private schools.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]

Church Records

Civil Parish: Tiscoffin. RC Parish: Gowran and Clara.
Earliest Records: b. Jan 1809; m. Jan 1810.

Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil 		Roman Catholic	Time 		FHLC
parish		parish		period		number
Tiscoffin	Clara		1809-1828	0926194
Note: Clara was formed from northern Gowran R.C. parish. 

Historical Geography

Townlands (1851)
Parish		Townland		Acres	Diocese
Tiscoffin	Blanchvilleskill    	31	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Castlewarren   		1046	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Coolgrange      	263	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Coolgreany     		366	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Coolmarks       	200	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Freneystown     	876	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Grangehill      	378	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Moonhall		157	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Rathcash East		198	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Rathcash Little		11	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Rathcash Wesy		149	Ossory    
Tiscoffin	Reevanagh		1029	Ossory    
Edited by Dennis Walsh, last updated 26 Apr 1999

Return to top of page